Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Banana Bread

I have been baking like mad lately, so please excuse all the recipe posts. Fall is the best time for baking, even if it's sunny and 80 degrees outside. I can't help but share these tasty concoctions I've put together!

My mother always says there is no such thing as a bad banana. You might think otherwise when you see the bananas I bought last week and failed to eat:


With mother's words echoing in my brain, I just couldn't bring myself to dispose of these bananas. I've never been great at making banana bread, though; it always turns out dry and heavy. I do, however, have a great recipe for pumpkin bread. So, naturally, I decided to adapt that recipe to include my beautifully ripened bananas.


Pumpkin Banana Bread 
(Print Recipe)

2 medium, incredibly ripe bananas, mashed
1 15 oz. can pumpkin pureƩ
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Start by greasing and flouring some loaf pans. This actually made a lot more than I anticipated, so I ended up making half a dozen jumbo muffins in addition to the 4 mini loaves I originally intended to make. I'd say you could probably choose from the following:
18 jumbo muffins
6 6"x3" loaves
3 9"x"5" loaves

Squish your bananas and pumpkin together in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add in the sugar, then the oil and water. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, along with the nuts, and stir until just combined.


Spoon the batter into your prepared pans, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake at 350° F, 30-40 minutes for muffins, or 45-60 minutes for loaves. Test with a toothpick, and let them cool on wire racks when done.


This recipe turned out moist and full of that Fall flavor I've been craving. Since it made more than my husband and I could hope to eat ourselves, I went ahead and wrapped a few of these puppies up and sent them off to various family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment