Monday, October 14, 2013

Chocolate Apple Crisp

Last month, my family went apple picking. It was hot and crowded, and the apples were expensive, but we had a lot of fun. Helping my sister's kids try to reach the apples was, of course, the highlight of the event. Naturally, everyone has been making delicious apple concoctions ever since.


After I got home with a bag full of apples, I found myself in a little dilemma. I wanted to use the apples we harvested to make dessert for my in-laws, but I also wanted to make something chocolatey. Anyone who knows me can tell you it's just not dessert if it doesn't include chocolate. So, I put a little spin on the traditional apple crisp.



Chocolate Apple Crisp
(Print Recipe)

Apple Filling:
5 cups apples, pealed and sliced (about 6 medium apples)
3 Tbsp raw sugar
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Crumble Topping:
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup pecans
1 cup oats
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Prepare your apples. Once they are pealed and sliced, soak them in a bowl of water. I recommend adding a teaspoon of citric acid to keep them from turning brown while you make your topping.


In a food processor, blend butter, pecans, oats, chocolate chips, brown sugar, flour, and spices until coarsely combined. Set aside. Don't overwork it, or the butter will soften too much to "crumble."



Drain the apples and place them in a 9"x13" pan. Add in the sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon, and toss to coat. Spread them evenly on the bottom of the pan, and top with the crumble.


Bake at 375° F for 30 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a drizzle of chocolate sauce over top.


I must add a disclaimer here; as hard as it is for me to say, this recipe may have too much chocolate for some. If you are one of those people that complains about not being able to taste the apple, try leaving out the chocolate chips. Maybe put the cocoa powder in the crumble instead. Either way, this combination is sure to be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment