Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Summer Tips for Guinea Pigs: Help Keep Them Cool

It's time for more guinea pig tips! It's been hot lately. We usually run the air conditioning, but our piggy, Remnar, overheats easily. So, first, we make sure he has plenty of fresh water. His water dish sits on a couple of bricks I bought at the hardware store for 5 cents each. After he's done sprinting around the living room in the evenings, he likes to lay on the bricks and drink his water while he cools off.


During the day, if the heat gets really bad, I give him a cold pack to lay on. I've been selling rice hot/cold packs on my Etsy shop for a while now. My husband and I like to put the neck wraps in the freezer and use them to cool off at night. I decided to give Remnar his very own small rice pack. He likes to use it as a pillow.


For this purpose, the rice packs are much nicer than the chemical ones because they don't get too cold to touch with bare skin. They are just cold enough to feel refreshing. They stay cold for up to an hour, depending on the size of the pack and how hot the user is. I love that I don't have to worry if the piggy decides to nibble the cover a little. He shouldn't eat the rice, but it won't kill him if he gets a little bit (unlike the chemical packs).

Now, a video montage I put together to show off my little piggy's antics!


My apologies for the poor quality. If you are interested, the music is the intro theme from Kirby's Adventure. Stay cool, and enjoy your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment