Monday, November 11, 2013

Kuribo's Shoe Pixel Art Christmas Stocking

As I've mentioned, my husband is a Super Mario Bros. wizard. His idea of a relaxing evening is making a speed-run through Mario 2.

Last Christmas, we decided it was time to make him a stocking to replace the one with a teddy bear on it that his mom loaned to us. After a year of trial and error, I am finally satisfied with the end result! It's based on Kuribo's Shoe from Mario 3 (you know, that cool green boot that you get to hop around in). I added a Santa hat to make it more holiday-appropriate, and voila!


I went through so many different versions of this, I've lost count. I'll spare you the details and just say that I ended up hand-stitching each felt "pixel" in place, then hand-stitching the lining and backing as well.

I spent a couple days just cutting out 1/4 inch felt squares.
I drew up the design on graph paper before attempting to piece it together.
I used embroidery thread to attach each pixel. I quite like how it turned out.

I am offering these for sale on Etsy, though it may take me some extra time to process any orders. This ended up being a fairly time-consuming project. Now my husband wants a matching stocking with Mario in a pipe! I think it's a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment