Monday, December 2, 2013

Turkey Brine

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday. It's the only day I am allowed to eat as much as I can possibly stuff in and not feel judged for it. This year was my first time hosting Thanksgiving. My first time cooking a turkey on my own, in fact! I know this recipe is a bit late, but that's just how the timing worked out. (I couldn't really post a recipe I hadn't actually tried yet.) I am happy to report that no one got sick, and the turkey tasted great!

Turkey Brine
(Print Recipe)

1 gallon (16 cups) water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup coarse sea salt
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp peppercorns
6 bay leaves
1 750ml bottle dry white wine

Combine everything but the wine in a large stock pot. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat. Allow to cool completely.


Meanwhile, get the turkey ready. Remove the giblets and set aside to use for stock. Put the turkey in a basting bag, then place it in a container. A large bucket or bowl will do if you plan on keeping it in the fridge. If it won't fit in the fridge, you can put it in an ice chest, as I did.



Once the brine is cooled, pour it into the bag with the turkey. Next, pour the wine in (I actually used a cheap champagne). Let the turkey marinate for 24 hours, flipping it halfway through.


Remove the turkey from the brine a couple hours before you plan to start roasting it. Discard the brine and rinse the turkey in cool water to remove excess salt. Allow turkey to stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours while you prepare the stuffing and get the oven preheated.

This recipe made for an extremely moist and flavorful bird, well worth any extra time and effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment